[SciPy-dev] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

John Hunter jdh2358 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 12:49:08 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Joe Harrington <jh at physics.ucf.edu> wrote:

> This is why we have asked people (in the doc instructions and example)
> to assume "import numpy" for numpy docs, to assume that and "import
> scipy" for scipy docs, and to make all other imports explicitly in the
> examples (e.g., if you want to plot in an example).

in the numpy sprint at Berkeley the numpy devs including Travis,
Robert, Jarrod and others voted to recommend 'import numpy as np'.
Perhaps we can go with that and avoid further debate.  The vote was
for:

import numpy as np
import scipy as sp
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

JDH

In the chat room: Fernando Perez (fdo.perez at gmail.com),
chris.d.burns at gmail.com, Robert Kern (robert.kern at gmail.com), Jarrod
Millman (millman.ucb at gmail.com), teoliphant at gmail.com

2:43 PM Fernando: You've been invited to this chat room!
  john?
 me: hey
 Fernando: quick, I know you're busy...
  import numpy as np
import scipy as sp
import matplotlib as mpl
2:44 PM me: no problem what's up?
 Fernando: these as conventions for shorhands?
  the mpl one I don't like... awkawrd to touch type...
  OK with the first two?
 me: well, you probably mean pyplot, not maptlotlib, since that is
where the pylab plotting functionality lives
  import pyplot as plt?
2:45 PM the first two look good to me -- I much prefer the lower case
over import numpy as N and single letter lower case is too brittle
2:46 PM Fernando: rkern says pyl...
  travis says lab
2:47 PM travis also votes for plt...
 me: I like plt reasonably well -- I'd also like to do apylab next
generation along the lines of what we talked about before
  import pyplot as plot
  import numpy as np
  import scipy as sp
  import numpy.fft as fft
2:48 PM import scipy.optimize as opt
  etc....
 Fernando: OK, the show of hands here also goes for plt.
  Let's just run with it, you OK?
 me: yep
 Fernando: so it is: np, sp, plt. Hammer goes down.
2:49 PM We may ping you again for quickies like this if you approve.
I'll make sure not to disturb you too much, but it helps to make
decisions and move along. Thanks!
 me: sounds good -- good luck!