[SciPy-dev] Dealing with stupid compilers: ifort on itanium cannot compile empty source files

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Mar 15 06:59:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

    While helping someone to get scipy compiled with intel compilers on
itanium, I encountered a serious problem: ifort cannot compile empty
source files on itanium !! The files I got problems with are in ARPACK
(two .f files are empty), but there may be other too, I don't know.
Putting comments do not seem to work, there must be some statements...
    What would be the best solution in this case ? Is it ok to remove
the files (since they are empty, this cannot be too bad, I guess, except
if there is a need to track upstream library)

    cheers,

    David