[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 15:50:26 EST 2008

>  But the most important things to stimulate interest
>  from government and large business is an established
>  reputation and the availability of paid support.

Yes, hence the Redhat / Fedora model, as compared to the original Suse
model.  But if Suse had been the only Linux distribution, and a first
timer had to install Suse linux from source, Linux would not be
popular.  I imagine that's why Suse went for the Redhat / Fedora model
in the end.   It seems to me that paid support is huge bonus and an
active encouragement for those who want it, but having to pay for the
original download before assessing it would be a deterrent.

Matthew