[SciPy-dev] Variogram code?

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Feb 20 00:43:26 EST 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Anand Patil apparently wrote:
> - The output is essentially a list of bar-graph components. On my
> computer, I have a function that uses matplotlib to actually plot the
> variograms. Should I wrap the function in a try block, so that it will
> be available if 'from pylab import *' works, or get rid of it?

I do not see any reason not to provide that function.
Just do not call it; leave that to the user.
The try block should therefore be in the function body.
(Or you can try when the module is loaded and condition
the function on a global that is set at loading.)

> - How should I package the module, and how can I get it to someone who
> can put it in the repository?

Unfortunately, the procedure for this does not seem well
established.

Do you have a way to provide easy download to would-be users
and interested developers?

Alternatively, this might be good grist for the Cookbook
mill:
<URL:http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook>

Cheers,
Alan Isaac