[SciPy-dev] scipy.optimize.nonlin rewrite

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Wed Dec 17 16:43:07 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> [...]
> strange. Of the tree, I'd retain only `anderson`.
>
> [clip]
>>>  - `excitingmixing`. A reference would be useful, to clarify the
>>>    heuristics used.
> [clip]
>>>  - `linearmixing`. I'm not sure that Scipy should advocate this
>>>    method :)
> [clip]
>>>  Linearmixing and excitingmixing also seem to require something from
>>>  the objective function, possibly that the eigenvalues of its Jacobian
>>>  have the opposite sign than `alpha`. For example, neither of them can
>>>  find a solution for the equation ``I x = 0`` where ``I`` is the
>>>  identity matrix (test function F2). So, I'm a bit tempted to remove
>>>  also these routines, as it seems they probably are not too useful for
>>>  general problems.
>>
>> Please don't removed those routines, they are essential for electronic
>> structure calculations, as they are very robust, fast and doesn't
>> require any memory. It just works for many problems.
>
> These are pretty straightforward methods, so maybe they can stay.  But the
> docstrings should clearly say that these are intended only for specialized
> problems.
>
> I wonder if electronic structure (DFT) calculations are a bit of a special
> case. Ie. are the eigenvalues of the Jacobian of the Kohn-Sham functional F[n]
> all negative (or less than 1)?
>
> [clip]
>>> * One could add more algorithms suitable for large-scale problems; for
>>>  example some limited-memory Broyden methods (eg. [1])
>>
>> I think in the references in my thesis, the broyden3 is sometimes called
>> the limited-memory Broyden method. However, I checked the equations in
>> [1] in your email and they need to do a singular-value-decomposition, so
>> it seems there is yet another approach to this. So yes.
>
> It's a part of a limited-memory method, but not the whole story, because the
> present implementation does not actually throw any data away.  So, it's
> an "unlimited memory" Broyden method :)
>
> But it would be very easy (= 3 lines of code) to make it a simple
> limited-memory method, just by throwing away iterates older than some M.  The
> singular value reduction can be implemented later. There are probably many
> different schemes proposed in the literature how the reduction can be done...
>
> [clip]
>> Let me know what you think about my comments. Basically, scipy should
>> have as many (working and well tested) algorithms as possible, with the
>> same interface, so that one can change the algorithms and see which
>> works for the particular problem.
>
> Yes, but this must be balanced against maintenance + testing costs.  I want to
> be sure that the code I contribute works, and I wouldn't like to spend too much
> time working on unproven methods. So I'd rather include only methods for which
> there is reason to believe that they work well.

Yes, the only thing that I really care is that the methods that are
known to work well for me are there. And I am willing to maintain
them.

>> I am glad that you are also using those methods, so that we can work
>> on this together.
>
> It'd be very useful if you could test this code, including the line search,
> on a real large-scale problem. At present, I'm not sure if it makes too many
> iterations compared to its payoff.
>
> Also, we might need to implement a reverse communication interface,
> something on the lines of
>
>    iterator = Solver(x0)
>    for x in iterator:
>        iterator.feed(func(x))
>        if iterator.converged(): break
>    else:
>        raise RuntimeError("Didn't converge")
>
> For expensive self-consistent iterations, this often feels the natural way
> to use the nonlinear solver.

Ok, I'll test it. So far I only have a one atomic solver, so that's
not a large scale problem, but if I put for example 20000 points in
the radial mesh, then I can test the nonlin methods pretty well (e.g.
Jacobian being 20000x20000 if we stored it fully, e.g. something like
1.5GB).

Right now I am working on a 2D solver and here it will show clearly
which method works the best. You can follow my progress here:

http://spilka.math.unr.edu/projects/hermes2d/wiki/Projects/SchroedingerEquation

So since you'll be busy in the next couple weeks, I think I'll know
soon which methods I need and which not. Thanks for all the comments
above -- I'll think about it and probably ask you soon to help me
implement or at least test some of those methods. :)

Thanks,
Ondrej