[SciPy-dev] Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested] <--

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Apr 10 13:17:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:41:54 +0300 (EEST)
  "Pearu Peterson" <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
> On Thu, April 10, 2008 3:01 pm, Stéfan van der Walt
>wrote:
>> Pearu,
>>
>> Why do checkins like these even happen?
>>
>> 04:03 Changeset [4125] by pearu
>>     Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested]
>>
>> I appreciate that you labelled the test deficiency, but
>>what now?  Are
>> you going to add the test, or was the message meant as a
>>reminder to
>> someone else?
>
> Have you followed the thread
>
>  http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2008-April/008804.html
>
> ? The changeset is there because a user asked a feature.
>Adding
> this feature was trivial, testing it is not so because
>it requires certain
> input that I don't have at hand. There is a request for
>the user to check
> if the feature works.
>
> I don't see harm in such patches, it does not break
>anything,
> and there is potential user who can confirm if the
>feature works or not.
>
> Regards,
> Pearu

Hi Pearu,

Thank you very much for your effort ! It works like a
charm.
Just one comment

The new option is not mentioned in the docstring
and it should be .mtx.gz insead of .mtz.gz  ;-)

  def mmread(source):
     """ Reads the contents of a Matrix Market file
'filename' into a matrix.

     Inputs:

       source    - Matrix Market filename (extensions
.mtx, .mtz.gz)
                   or open file object.

Thanks again

                  Nils