[SciPy-dev] [scikits] openopt SVN instable for the moment

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:33:18 EDT 2008

> > That's what packages are made for. When the package is in a stable
> > state, one can think about modifying files so that the module is
> > enhanced. This fix waited far too long. And besides, I think that the
> > code I provided in the scikit should be available for people who want
> > it (generic framework that you hid in the solvers).
>

> In the letter from 09/12/2007 I had proposed you to install your
> optimizers to same path OpenOpt is installed, i.e. using from
> scikits.genericopt import ...
> You had answered: "Do what you think is the best, I don't mind using
> from openopt... import optimizers"

Yes, I would like to use this, but for several _months_, you did nothing in
that matter.

> I once started a similar fix and you rolled back everything.
>

> I had got to know about those changes when Nils Wagner had informed me
> that latest OO from subversion just don't work.

Breaking my own code in the process. I didn't say a thing because you were
so busy.

> I'm sorry, but you are not the only one that spent days, weeks, to
> > create the package. I spent hours trying to do something you said you
> > would do months ago (this fix). But sometimes, decisions have to be
> > made, because other code depend on it. I already waited too long to
> > fix this design (this was one of the reasons I did not add new stuff
> > to the package, as I had no way of advertizing it to the outside world).
>
> Do you realize what any project will look like if anyone will implement
> his own changes wrt his own needs only, w/o even informing others?

Perhaps then you should start listening to what I'm saying for several
months ?

> so people who want to use the last stable realease can do so. And
> > people who want to use the full power of the package can do so now.
>
> I still don't think some days of my not-committing give rights to those
> abstract people you have mentioned to do whatever they want with OO code.

They don't do anything with OO code. Please read what I'm saying.
They will add by themselves in the registry (not modifying openopt code) the
name of their wrapper. NOTHING ELSE.

> And after those several months you can't wait these 2 days before GSoC
> results?

I don't know about the deadlines. I'm just worried about code I promised
several people to give to the community. And now, with my fixes, everybody
is happy, because it doesn't change a thing to how you and everyone using
openopt code.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student