[SciPy-dev] Illegal instruction in ndimage test

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 26 16:06:49 EDT 2007

Hi folks-

My thanks to John Ollinger for the global context change to address
SELinux issues.  But it turns out that wasn't the cause of the
"Illegal instruction" crash I was getting, as far as I can tell.
The SELinux warning appears before scipy.test(1,1) crashes, and
the crash continues to happen at the same place even after the
context change (and even if I turn off text relocation protection
in SELinux).

Running scipy.test(1,10) helps pin down what's crashing:

[snip]
gaussian filter 6 ... ok
gaussian gradient magnitude filter 1 ... ok
gaussian gradient magnitude filter 2 ... ok
gaussian laplace filter 1 ... ok
gaussian laplace filter 2 ... ok
generation of a binary structure 1 ... ok
generation of a binary structure 2 ... ok
generation of a binary structure 3 ... ok
generation of a binary structure 4 ... ok
generic filter 1Illegal instruction

Hunting around, I found the offending test in ndimage/tests.  If
I rename this directory (so the tests are skipped), the tests
proceed without crashing.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to diagnose this problem (I don't
use ndimage), or how to provide sufficient info on Trac to
guide a bug fix if this is a bug.

-Tom