[SciPy-dev] Presentation of pymachine, a python package for machine learning

Peter Skomoroch peter.skomoroch at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:17:14 EDT 2007

David,

I would probably use the code quite a bit.  For me an exploration GUI isn't
important, but correctness and performance are.  Readability of the code
next after that.  Let me know if you want me to be a guinea pig at some
point on the algorithm correctness, I can toss some additional datasets at
it.

-Pete

On 5/13/07, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Dear scipy developers and users,
>
>    As some of you may know already, my proposal for pymachine, a python
> toolbox for machine learning in python, has been accepted for the Summer
> of Code 2007. The detailed proposal is online [1], and wikified [2]. The
> proposal timeline consists of two main steps:
>    - first improving existing tools related to machine learning in
> scipy, such as they become part of "official scipy" (eg all tools in
> toolbox going into main scipy namespace). This includes scipy.cluster,
> scipy.sandbox.pyem and scipy.sandbox.svm.
>    - Then building from this set of toolboxes a more high level package,
> in the spirit of similar softwares, such as orange or weka [3],
> including some visualization tools for data exploration. This part of
> the code would be put in scikits (because it will require extra
> dependencies).
> All development will happen in the scipy and scikits subversion
> repositories.
>
>    Now, before starting working on it, I would like to get some feedback
> about what other people think is necessary with respect to those goals:
>    - What are the requirements for a toolbox to go from the sandbox into
> the scipy namespace ?
>    - For people willing to use machine learning related software in
> python/scipy, what are the main requirements/concern ? (eg Data
> exploration GUI, efficiency, readability of the algorithms, etc...)
>
>    cheers,
>
>    David
>
> [1] http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/fullproposal.html
>
> [2] http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/wiki/MachineLearning