[SciPy-dev] Google Summer of Code 2007

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 9 20:29:43 EST 2007

Hey,

I was wondering if Enthought would be interested in signing up as a
mentor organization:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/gsoc-mentor-organization-application-how-to
It is a fair amount of work.

Fernando Perez explained that PSF wants to focus on core Python
development this year.  More specifically after google tells them how
many slots they get, the PSF plans to reserve a certain number of
slots set aside specifically for core projects.  Given the increase in
interest in the summer of code, the PSF may not have many slots for
scientific python.

The reason this is important is that I have been talking with two
students, David Cournapeau and Taylor Berg, about potential projects.
They would both be related to machine learning and I think would be
very useful contributions to SciPy.  Fernando Perez and Brian Granger
are also thinking about mentoring Min on an IPython project.  I don't
know if anyone else is thinking about other possible SciPy-related SoC
projects.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman