[SciPy-dev] BUG gradient in leastsq (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/416)

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 09:47:06 EDT 2007

Hi,
My 0.5 cents on this, as I don't use it, is that  I do think the issue
lies elsewhere than here.

In my 'old' scipy0.5.2 code, MATRIXC2F is ONLY used if
multipack_jac_transpose ==1

by the three functions:
Lib/optimize/__minpack.h, h  jac_multipack_lm_function and
jac_multipack_calling_function
Lib/integrate/__odepack.h the ode_jacobian_function

Also,  it may be that the expectation is not correct ie that  case 2)
with gradient info, col_deriv=0 is switched with 3) with gradient
info, col_deriv=1 since, my limited take on the C code, is that
col_deriv changes multipack_jac_transpose.

Bruce