[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:14:20 EST 2007

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> After some more lively discussion, here is my latest proposal.  We will
> use reST for the docstrings with specific sections expected as given.
> The Notes and Examples section are optional but the Examples section is
> strongly encouraged.

There's another section that we should encourage (since authors tend not to
document it otherwise):

Raises
------
ValueError if the input matrix is not square.
LinAlgError if the input matrix is not symmetric positive definite.

I don't think it needs any special parsing; it can be unstructured.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco