[SciPy-dev] SciPy 0.6.0 release planned for August 31st

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 21 18:47:23 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Now that SciPy 0.5.2.1 is out the door it is time to get a new feature
release done as well.  SciPy 0.5.2 was released over 8 months ago
(2006-12-07) and a lot of things have been improved and fixed since
then.

After talking with Travis Oliphant and Robert Kern (as well as quite a
few other people at the SciPy conference), we decided to overhaul the
release process.  On Monday, August 27th, I will make a 0.6.x branch.
I would like to release 0.6.0 on Friday, August 31st.  Continued
development will occur on the trunk and will lead to a 0.7.x branch 3
months later on Monday, November 26th.  If there are any important
bugs in the 0.6.0 release we will make a 0.6.1 release and so on.

I have started putting together a 0.6 roadmap here (it should mostly
be a list of major things that have already been added or fixed):
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/milestone/0.6

Please don't make any major changes to the trunk between now and next
Monday.  If you can I would like to ask everyone to look through the
open tickets and close anything that has already been fixed.  Even
better if you see something that you can easily fix without breaking
something else, please do so.

If you find a ticket that should be a release blocker, please let me
know ASAP.  Currently, there are 4 release blockers that I want fixed
before making the 0.6.0 tag:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/238
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/401
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/406
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/482

I wanted to get this timeline out ASAP, but there has been a lot of
discussion recently about packaging.  I agree that we need to get
packaging sorted out as well.  I will send out my thoughts about
packaging later today.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman