[SciPy-dev] Need some info to solve #238: cblas vs fblas

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Aug 5 11:20:02 EDT 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to look at some of the pending bugs on mac os X, I came
> across a quite severe problem for scipy.linalg when building with
> gfortran and veclib on intel. I put my findings in #238: the problem
> seems to be that 4 functions in veclib use the "old fortran ABI" for
> returned values, and this causes memory corruption when used in scipy.
>
> I am not sure how to solve this problem: I tried many different things,
> to observe at the end that removing a file (fblaswrap) from the sources
> of fblas in the setup of linalg solved the problem... What is this file
> used for ? Can it be removed from the fblas module ? (conditionally to
> having found vecLib, of course).
Mmh, the above does not make sense, sorry.

I have a patch for the bug in #238 which seems to solve the problem, but
noticed that the error appears in two different submodules: scipy.lib
and scipy.linalg. What's the difference between fblas in scipy.lib and
fblas in scipy.linalg ? Isn't scipy.lib redundant with scipy.linalg ?
This actually made me crazy since the above bug reappears at random
depending on the order of tests in scipy (they both define the same
symbols, and this took me a while to understand that the failing
function was not the same as the one I was working on).

cheers,

David