[SciPy-dev] eigh implementation inconsistency

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Tue Apr 10 07:12:50 EDT 2007

I need to solve a symmetric generalized eigenvalue problem, so I have
looked at the linalg module and found a thing that seems inconsistent to me.

For general (unsymmetric) problems there is the 'eig' function which
allows for solving both the regular (via *geev) and generalized (via
*ggev) eigenvalue problems.

On the other hand, the function 'eigh' for symmetric (or hermitian)
problems does not allow the generalized problems, even though there are
functions in lapack to do it (dsygv, chegv).

I would modify eigh to accept an optional 'b' argument just like eig
does. What must be done to have dsygv, chegv wrappers generated? They
are not generated now, IMHO.

r.