[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 20:42:41 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> As most of you know, I'm at an academic institution and have a strong
> belief that open source should mesh better with the academic world then
> it currently does.  One of the problems, is that it is not easy to just
> point to open source software as a "publication" which is one of the
> areas that most tenure-granting boards look at when deciding on a
> candidate.
>
> To help with that a little-bit,  I'd really like to get a peer-reviewed
> on-line journal for code contributed to SciPy started.  Not to implicate
> him if he no longer thinks it's a good idea, but I first started
> thinking seriously about this at SciPy 2006 when Fernando Perez
> mentioned he had seen this model with a math-related software package
> and thought we could try something similar.

Indeed! Another example is the _Journal of Statistical Software_ which is a
free, online, peer-reviewed journal focused on statistical software. Looking at
the articles, I sometimes wonder if it just should have been called the _Journal
of R_, but I digress. It seems to be well-done.

> 1) Do you like the idea ?

+1!

> 2) Could you help (i.e. as an editor, reviewer, etc.)?

+1

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."