[SciPy-dev] new function regrid for fitpack2

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Oct 11 17:09:24 EDT 2006

Hi John

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 07:48:04PM +0100, John Travers wrote:
> As far as I can tell from the documentation (and the fitpack author's
> book) surfit shouldn't be used for interpolation. It is designed for
> smoothing scattered data. I say this as the reason I implemented the
> regrid function is because interp2d wouldn't work for my data. regrid
> does (and *is* designed for interpolation or smoothing of rectangular
> data). Can I suggest that interp2d uses regrid instead (or do people
> need to interpolate scattered data, in which case a different library
> alltogether would be required)?
>
> I'm willing to work out the required patches to make these changes if
> people think I should.

As you say, we should probably use the function purpose written for a
rectangular grid in interp2d.  However, I wouldn't like to lose the
ability to smooth scattered data.

What do you mean by "or do people need to interpolate scattered data,
in which case a different library altogether would be required"?
Isn't that functionality currently exposed via the surface fitting
algorithm?

Regards
Stéfan