[SciPy-dev] Stats t-test broken on 1D input

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 2 14:50:01 EST 2006

Hi folks,

Sorry to re-post, but nobody in scipy-user seemed too concerned that
the most basic form of the most basic statistical test -- the T-test
on 1D input -- is broken in scipy 0.4.6.

In [1]: import scipy.stats

In [2]: scipy.version.version
Out[2]: '0.4.6'

In [3]: scipy.stats.ttest_ind([1,2,3],[1,2,3])
TypeError: len() of unsized object

In [4]: scipy.stats.ttest_rel([1,2,3],[1,2,3])
TypeError: len() of unsized object

The problem is at lines 1463 and 1512 of stats.py, where len() is
applied to a scalar result. This can be fixed by chainging the blocks
that look like:

     if type(t) == ArrayType:
         probs = reshape(probs,t.shape)
     if len(probs) == 1:
         probs = probs[0]

to look like:
     if type(t) == ArrayType:
         probs = reshape(probs,t.shape)
         if len(probs) == 1:
             probs = probs[0]

That is, probs is guaranteed to be a scalar ( I think) if t is not an
array. I assume that in a previous version of scipy this was not the
case, but now it is.

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine