[SciPy-dev] The new SciPy.org

Travis N. Vaught travis at enthought.com
Tue Jan 31 12:43:51 EST 2006

Joe Harrington wrote:
> More random comments on the web site...
>
> I edited the front-page text, so if you care about that, please take a
> look.  In particular, I moved the web-editing stuff to Developer Zone
> and removed the reference to the non-existent demos.
>
> Mailing lists are hidden under Documentation.  I don't think anyone
> will find them there (I found them by accident, after assuming they
> were not yet migrated).  They should be under a nav tab of their own.
> I propose adding a heading for them.
+1

> Possible names (in my preference
> order):

my votes:
> Community 0
> Mailing Lists +1
> Forums -1
> Discussion 0
>
> I also merged and updated the content of the old ASP page into
> Developer Zone, moving the ASP blurb itself to the bottom.  My hope is
> that project leads will identify themselves in the areas they work in,
> and that people who are looking to help in areas without a lead will
> likewise sign up there.  It's also important to have a complete
> listing (with links to project pages elsewhere) of all the doc,
> tutorial, cookbook, etc. efforts that are underway.  The Documentation
> tab just has the finished products, as is appropriate.  Does it make
> sense to put docs under Trac?

Which docs?  The API docs (as soon as we have some) or something else?
> The plotting tutorial looks like a lot of the recipes.  Should it be
> moved?
+1
> The link to the old version is broken.
>
> Demos are specifically to attract non-users to try out the packages.
> Do we need separate Demos and Cookbook pages?
+1
>  Or perhaps a Demos page
> that just links to a selection of good recipes?  Or an indicator on
> the Cookbook page that a given demo is safe for beginners?  I'm
> concerned about sending new users into the Cookbook page to explore,
> and the first thing they find is a NumPy demo that shows how to use
> the C-API.  Some of these people know that C is a programming
> language, and what API stands for...some...  The rest will run
> screaming.
>
> As time goes on, I'll have many more comments like this.  I could just
> go make the changes, but I don't want to step on others' toes.  We
> should agree on what kinds of changes are ok just to go and make, and
> what needs discussion.
>
> --jh-
At this point, I think we should embrace the wiki way--if anyone objects
to content you've added, your work will be "refactored."  If things
start to deteriorate, we can start yelling at folks to stop changing
things.  At this point, however, we're "unencumbered" by a cacophony of
too many contributers.

That said, the organization of the "contents" should be set (and soon),
if not by community consensus, at least by a small few contributers with
the mandate to do it (that would be you and Andrew and anyone else so
motivated).

Travis