[SciPy-dev] numpy-0.9.2, scipy-0.4.4 RPMs

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Fri Jan 20 02:37:39 EST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 14:21 -0700, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

>>> I intend on splitting the numpy package into numpy and f2py subpackages.
>>
>> Be careful, here.  I'm pretty sure the numpy.f2py only works with numpy
>> while the other f2py out there works with numarray and Numeric.
>
> I'm afraid the logic of this has escaped me. Why is it not possible to
> make the new f2py backwards-compatible?

It's possible but the efford is not worth of it, IMO. Old f2py installed
as f2py2e works with Numeric and numarray. I plan to keep it available and
fix bugs in CVS but no new features will be added. The new f2py that is
installed as numpy.f2py works only with numpy. f2py2e and numpy.f2py both
install f2py script and f2py.1. This nameing conflict must be fixed.

> Anyways, the man page (that gets placed in the wrong location on
> install, BTW) still contains references to the old packages and website,
> and the script also has a reference there.

I haven't had time to update man pages nor home pages of f2py. It's in my
todo list..

Pearu