[SciPy-dev] SciPy 0.4.4 release progress

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Jan 9 01:38:20 EST 2006

Ed Schofield wrote:

>On 08/01/2006, at 4:11 AM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>This is what I do (check this set of instructions for errors, it's off
>>the top of my head).

>Hi Travis,
>Thanks for the tips!  They were very helpful, and I'm getting there.
>I still have some questions:
>
>1. I uninstalled Python 2.4 and installed Python 2.3, figuring that
>SciPy binaries built against Python 2.3 would be upwardly compatible,
>but perhaps not vice versa.  Is this true?  I noticed you built
>separate binaries for NumPy for Python 2.3 and 2.4 on Windows but
>just one set on Linux -- why?

Most people on Linux build it themselves or one of the distribution
packagers builds it for the distribution, I just put the binary rpm up
because I need to build a binary to test the distribution so it's
there.  I'm not sure how useful it is...

>2. I've been getting various LAPACK errors since I moved away my
>custom-rolled ATLAS/LAPACK libraries, but things are looking better
>now.  I presume that the Linux binaries should be built without an
>ATLAS dependency?  If I link against /ed's/own/atlas/library.so, the
>binaries will be useless to anyone but me, right?  ...

Actually, ATLAS is linked statically (AFAIK) so it is actually one
benefit of a binary...

>It makes me wonder if we need Linux binaries at all.  I've noticed
>that numarray only distributes Windows binaries, probably since the
>source tarball is generally far more useful, and because Linux
>distributors will soon package SciPy themselves anyway.  Could we do
>this too?

Yes... I wouldn't stress about the Linux binary.   But, I do think you
need to test the binary build from the newly-created source distribution
before uploading the tarball.

>3. Are there any Windows linking traps to be aware of?  I presume we
>link SciPy against an ATLAS DLL that gets rolled up into the .exe
>file ...

Again, I think it's statically linked.   I just do a bdist_wininst command.

If you don't have a distutils.cfg file, you do need to make sure and use
config --compiler=mingw32 and build --compiler=mingw32 (unless you have
the same compiler that built Python, then great...)

Best,

-travis