[SciPy-dev] Leaning toward numpy

Janet M. Swisher swisher at enthought.com
Wed Jan 4 12:19:02 EST 2006

> What is wrong with numpy?

The following are the objections that were raised against "numpy", before "numerix" was selected and then abandoned. I have no opinion, just reminding y'all of the previous discussion.

From: Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
I think numpy has too strong a connection to
numeric.

From: Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu>
-1 on 'numpy': if at some point in the future this is considered a candidate
for the stdlib, I don't think we want anything with a 'py' suffix in the
package name (not a single module in the stdlib ends in 'py' today, except for
'copy').

I also don't want to have to explain to anybody "well, this isn't really the
old numpy, it's the new numpy, which was written by the guy who was
maintaining the old numpy, but it's a new code, and it also has features from
numarray, so it's like the old numpy + numarray + better, but it's called
numpy again.  Easy, no?"  Really, I don't.

From: Francesc Altet <faltet at carabos.com>
-1 numpy  (may sound confusing with existing Numeric)

From: Ed Schofield <schofield at ftw.at>
I'm with Fernando on this, for all the same reasons.

--
Janet Swisher --- Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc. http://www.enthought.com