[SciPy-dev] Googling numerix

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:18:34 EST 2006

On 1/3/06, Philip Austin <paustin at eos.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Here's one other group it would be good to include in discussions:
>
> http://sml.nicta.com.au/crest/tiki-index.php?page=CREST+and+numerix

And there was also this comment there,

Simon:
See also: http://numeric.scipy.org/PEP.txt
This is a proposal for "Multidimensional Arrays for Python". It's a kind of
api that numarray/numeric/whoever-else can build their array's on top of. If
possible we should get our act together and try and work with these guys.

It looks like these guys pretty much want to duplicate MatLab as is and
interface to PETSc. They seem to be interested mainly in matrices and sparse
matrices. I'm guessing they do a lot of PDE.

Anyway, this does lead to a naming problem, although I note that they only
started up last July, so I think we could make an argument on first use. Do
we want to worry about this? Is their project going to go anywhere? I didn't
get a look at their svn repository, so I have no idea if they are very
active.

Chuck