[SciPy-dev] interest in Time series functionality?

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Apr 26 16:15:37 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, (UTC) Matt Knox apparently wrote:
> Oh, one thing I should mention is that the code currently
> uses the mx.DateTime module
> (http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxDateTime.html)
> because I have found it to offer a lot more flexibility
> than python's built-in date/time module. It could probably
> be rewritten to use only the built in date/time module,
> but I am not going to attempt to do that at this time

IMO, this is a reasonable dependency,
even if I might better like reliance on python-dateutil,
which is wonderful.  (I think Matplotlib uses
python-dateutil for time series handling; you might
want to take a look.)

The only thing I suggest is gracefully handling the
import error if the module is not present.  (E.g.,
say where to get it.)

Cheers,
Alan Isaac