[SciPy-dev] Building scipy with GNU Fortran 95 (gcc 4)

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Nov 13 02:37:25 EST 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The support for building scipy with GNU Fortran 95 (gcc 4) compiler is now
> added to SVN. To build scipy using gfortran, use
>
>    python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build

We need to be careful with names here. There is gfortran[1], which is
officially part of the GNU Compiler Collection as of gcc 4.

There is also g95[2], which isn't[3].

I would prefer that the --fcompiler name be gfortran to help avoid
confusion.

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/
[2] http://www.g95.org/
[3] http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/TheOtherGCCBasedFortranCompiler