[SciPy-dev] Some Feedback

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Nov 9 22:02:31 EST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

>Tr
>
>I think there's a reasonable amount of consensus that we should have a
>Trac instance for scipy. Personally, I would go a bit farther to suggest
>that the Trac instance should be the public face of the project. That
>is, http://www.scipy.org/ should give the Trac Welcome page for the
>project. We've never really used Plone's CMS capabilities to their full
>extent. Most of the content on the site is perfectly suitable for going
>into a Wiki.

There is a Trac instance for scipy core already.

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy_core

I'd like to see one for full scipy, too.

>I can see two major roadblocks to switching to Trac at this time:
>
>1) By default, Trac doesn't give a way for individuals to register an
>account for themselves. Consequently, an administrator either has to
>manually add people so they can edit the Wiki, or we allow Wiki editing
>without any kind of login (== Wikispam). There's a plugin to add
>self-registration, but it has to be installed and tested, which leads me to:

I think Trac is a good option.  I don't see too much of a drawback to
having to register people manually given that nobody is really
participating in the old www.scipy.org site, anyway.

-Travis