[SciPy-dev] Python (Enthought Edition) for Windows test release

Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 19 01:15:01 EST 2005

Hey Joe,

Quoting Joe Cooper <joe at enthought.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> The much anticipated new release of the Enthought Edition of Python
> (a.k.a. Enthon) is just about ready for release into the real world.
> I'd like for some of you brave developer-type folks to give it a go
> before I announce it more widely and link it from the Enthon home page.
>
> Some highlights of the latest version:
>
> - iPython 0.6.7_rc2 is the default shell

Many thanks for this, I really appreciate it.  However, I have bad news: just
today I committed a fix into CVS for a really nasty crash which can be
triggered by a simple 'foo?', when foo is an instance without an __init__
method.  Unfortunately since '?' is one of ipython's most frequently used
features, this is really likely to bite a lot of users.

I wish I'd caught this before, but for the last couple of weeks I've been mired
in other things and hadn't been using ipython much myself.  I just got a crash
report a couple of days ago from a user.

I hate to report this to you right at the 11th hour, esp. considering that you
gave me ample time to triple check everything.  But that's just how it goes, I
honestly just checked the fix into CVS today.

If it's at all possible to you to update ipython, I've put up an rc3 set of
files here:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/

There's .zip, .tar.gz and an rpm built on Fedora3 (py23).  It would be really
nice if you could use this updated source instead of rc2, but I'll obviously
understand (and take full blame) if you can't this late in the game.

Best regards,