[SciPy-dev] chararry array method

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Dec 29 16:30:17 EST 2005

Christopher Hanley wrote:

>Hi Travis,
>
>Should the array method in chararry have a shape parameter?

I'm not sure.  Presumably it would pick up its shape from the input object.

At some point, I think I'd like to move the chararray into C and have it
be the default return object whenever a string or unicode base-type
array is requested.

You can already have arrays of strings without the chararray, except
comparisons don't work.  There are lots of ways to solve that problem,
and I'm not sure the chararray is the best way.  But, it's functional.

-Travis