[SciPy-dev] scipy distutils questions

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Dec 14 04:23:46 EST 2005

Hi Pearu,

thanks a lot for looking into this!!

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> > Because of this I tried to debug this a bit,
> > but already running  `systeminfo.py` does not work:
> >
> > core> python scipy/distutils/system_info.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "scipy/distutils/system_info.py", line 112, in ?
> >    from exec_command import find_executable, exec_command, get_pythonexe
> >  File
> > "/home/abaecker/BUILDS2/Build_104/core/scipy/distutils/exec_command.py",
> > line 58, in ?
> >    from log import _global_log as log
> >  File "/home/abaecker/BUILDS2/Build_104/core/scipy/distutils/log.py",
> > line 7, in ?
> >    from scipy.distutils.misc_util import red_text, yellow_text, cyan_text
> > ImportError: No module named scipy.distutils.misc_util
>
> That's strange. scipy/distutils/log.py is there but
> scipy/distutils/misc_util.py isn't, both are python modules... you can try
>    PYTHONPATH=. python scipy/distutils/system_info.py
>
> Anyway, I have fixed system_info.py to detect atlas version when running
> from scipy core source directory as python scipy/distutils/system_info.py.
> May be that fix fixes also the above error.
>
> I'll look into other scipy.distutils problems as well..

I got some further info on  this:

The lapack stuff is provided in
  libmkl_lapack64.so  and  libmkl.so
which are in /opt/intel/mkl72/lib/64
To link correctly, they need
  libifcore.so   libguide.so
which are in /opt/intel/fc_90/lib/
and
  libpthread.so
which is in /usr/lib/

We tried the following, but without success

[atlas]
library_dirs = /opt/intel/mkl72/lib/64:/opt/intel/fc_90/lib/
include_dirs = /opt/intel/mkl72/include/
atlas_libs = mkl_lapack64,mkl,ifcore

So I think the problem boils down to the question on how
one has to specify additional libraries and their paths
which are needed to link (for example) lapack/atlas.

Is there already a way to do this?

Many thanks, Arnd