[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] Arange has been sped up

Paul Barrett pebarrett at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 12:02:35 EST 2005

On 12/11/05, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
> > Friends,
> >
> > I've just sped up arange using individual filling loops like numarray
> > does -- and added (untested) complex arange functionality.
> >
> > The benchmarks are showing a marked improvement in the arange function
> > for scipy over its previous performance.  Thanks for the testing.
>
> So only at small array sizes Numeric is faster (if one can believe
> the benchmark ;-). The data suggest that the crossover
> is at around 100.
> For the larger sizes getting a factor of more than 10 is impressive!!
> My compliments, Travis!

The difference between Scipy and Numeric for small arrays may be the amount
of stack usage.  Numeric stores a lot of information on the stack, which
avoids allocating memory.  I know from personal experience that memory
allocation can have a significant affect on performance for small arrays.
Travis may want to confirm whether or not this is correct.

 -- Paul

--
Paul Barrett, PhD                     Johns Hopkins University
Assoc. Research Scientist     Dept of Physics and Astronomy