[SciPy-dev] Subversion migration complete

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 10 18:40:32 EDT 2005

[This is somewhat old. I composed it on a train and only now have
Internet, so ignore any bits about the SVN structure that have been
already settled.]

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Joe Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> Oops.  It got overlooked.  Fixed:
>>>
>>> http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core
>>
>> We really need it to be inside scipy/trunk so that people can do one
>> checkout and be able to go at once. What's the best way to do this? I
>> don't think we really need it as a separate entity, so perhaps just
>> "svn copy"ing the tree over?
>
> Perhaps having scipy_core and scipy as separate checkouts is a good thing.
>
> Scipy core is supposed to replace Numeric and Numarray.
>
> Having a separate tree might help others realize that they can check out
> scipy_core separately from scipy and speed the adoption of the unified
> array.

Well, scipy.core is replacing Numeric. scipy_core is something else. We
need something, be it a tag in the SVN repository or a real release, for
people to easily build scipy *now* before the restructuring happens. The
restructuring can happen in its own little branch and not even bother
with the stuff that's currently there.

You're right that scipy.core should probably have its own
trunk/branches/etc. and be easily checked out alone. It can be dropped
into the main scipy repository as an SVN external (sorry Joe).

On a related note, I highly recommend looking at setuptools to
complement scipy_distutils. It allows for creating "namespace packages"
(e.g. scipy, enthought, twisted, zope) whose subpackages can be
installed separately. They can even be made to depend on each other,
either as a runtime dependency (like scipy.core) or a buildtime
dependency (like scipy.distutils). I'll have some time in September to
help out with this. We might even want to try scheduling a pre-SciPy-'05
sprint to do restructuring work.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

--
Robert Kern