[SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Charles Harris charles.harris at sdl.usu.edu
Tue Sep 28 15:09:09 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Perry Greenfield schrieb:
>
>> I have a feeling that no matter what classification system is used,
>> so long as it
>> is purely hierarchical people are going to expect to find an item in
>> another area.
>> Some things naturally associate with more than one category. Picking
>> a good system
>> is important, but alone is unlikely to eliminate user frustration in
>> finding things.
>

> This is true, and an inherent problem of _any_ hierarchical system.
> However, I think that as much as in the unix world symlinks help
> alleviate some of this in file management, we can use the fact that
> python names are lightweight bindings to our advantage.  For things
> which can truly be expected to live in more than one place, judicious
> use of:
>
> scipy.foo.bar = scipy.otherfoo.bar
>
> can make life easy, if it's equally reasonable for users to expect bar
> to be under foo and under otherfoo.
>
> I don't think the library names should be mercilessly duplicated
> everywhere, but something like this can really help in a few places.
> Obviously, a good, searchable, cross-referenced documentation is a key
> part of the soultion to this problem, as you mention.

To expand on this theme a bit more, some tools have multiple uses. Pure
splines would fall into the interpolation category, splines in tension
or b-splines used as a basis for least squares would fall under fitting.
Likewise, triangulations would be used in both ODE and contour plotting,
and perhaps call on data structures such as quad trees. Graphics might
make use of kd-trees, etc., etc.