[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 19 17:54:30 EDT 2004

Alan G Isaac wrote:

> Or, if SciPy provided its own names and
> used its own convention, instead of
> over-riding Numeric (or numarray) names,
> I would also be happy.  Especially if
> SciPy names were readily identifiable
> as such.  (Of course, one can always
> be careful on one's own, but relying on
> users to be careful is generally a bad
> idea when it is avoidable.)

Please stop using the plural. There is precisely one function whose axis
default gets overridden in this manner, and that is cumsum(). Given that
there are unittests for it, I can only assume that the override is
deliberate and chosen with the Numeric incompatibility in mind.

You can still disagree about that decision, but please constrain your
comments to the specifics: namely, that you think cumsum()'s axis
argument should default to 0.

My position is that cumsum() should remain as it is, but it and all
other changes to Numeric's behaviours should be documented. To that end,
I've started a wiki page.

http://www.scipy.org/wikis/accessible_scipy/NumericCompatibility

--
Robert Kern