[SciPy-dev] gui_thread and wxPython-2.5.2.8

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Oct 2 09:21:06 EDT 2004

[...]
    FP> 1. Get scipy, matplotlib and ipython current.
    FP> 2. Set your matplotlib GUI choice to WXAgg.
    FP> 3. Everything works automatically!  Plots, full guis,
    FP>    interactive control of
    FP> the gui from within the shell, etc.

    FP> I think this is the kind of setup which will really attract
    FP> new users.

Yes, but its not going to be easy.  If we are lucky gui_thread will
just be a stop gap arrangement before IPython can be retargetted to
any Python shell.  I think that will be easier to get working
*reliably* than gui_thread.  But, for now, gui_thread might be a
decent temporary arrangement.

    >> Here is a simple test you can run:
    >>
    >> import gui_thread gui_thread.start()

    FP> Is there any reason the gui_thread module can't just call
    FP> start() itself upon import?  Are there valid situations where
    FP> one may want to delay this call?

Well, this is really so we don't remove the original code.  Gui_thread
is not too well used and not tested out enough for us to know what is
to be removed and whats to be left there.  I just have an IPython
profile to do this job for me.

    >> from gui_thread.examples import SimpleFrame a = SimpleFrame()
    >> a.Show() a.SetTitle('Hey! this works!')

    FP> Unfortunately it doesn't work with 2.4:

    FP> In [2]: wx.VERSION Out[2]: (2, 4, 2, 4, 'u')

Once the wx-2.5 support is reasonably stable, it should hopefully be
easier to get the earlier versions also working.

Thanks for testing and feedback.

cheers,
prabhu