[SciPy-dev] gui_thread and wxPython-2.5.2.8

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 1 12:11:55 EDT 2004

Prabhu Ramachandran schrieb:

> Any advice would be appreciated.  In any case the result of my hacking
> is that with 2 small patches one can use gui_thread fully from within
> IPython for both new and old (not tested but should work) versions of
> wxPython.
>
> Also, if 0.3.2 is round the corner is this a good thing to push into
> scipy?  I am not sure how many folks use gui_thread, but it would
> certainly be cool if this could make it into 0.3.2.

This is great, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm sorry I can't currently help, as
I'm too swamped on the next ipython release.  But since that work is geared to
make ipython+matplotlib work as smoothly as possible with wx and gtk, having
this in the scipy release would be a great complement.

These gui/threading issues are _way_ over the head of most day-to-day
scientists (including myself :), so the more we can automate this and make the
tools (scipy, ipython, matplotlib) as foolproof as possible in this regard,
the better we'll be.  Most scientists will just roll their eyes if we give
them a maze of instructions just to pop a plot window which doesn't lock up
their shell, so I think that for the current goals of 'easy out-of-box use for
the common scientist', this is a very worthy addition.

Just my $.02

Best,