[SciPy-dev] io.mmread

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Nov 11 14:58:32 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Nils Wagner wrote:

> It takes a very long time to import my large test matrices via io.mmread.
> Is it somehow possible to accelerate this process ?

io.mmread in CVS is now about 4.5 times faster and supports also reading
.mtx.gz files (though gunzip'ig such files in harddisk makes
io.mmread faster). io.mmread is still pure Python and implementing it in C
should give more speed at the cost of being more strict to io.mmread
argument, e.g. reading .mtx.gz would have to happen in pure Python.

Pearu