[SciPy-dev] wgnuplot.exe dependency in 0.3.2

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Wed Nov 10 12:21:04 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm working on the next revision of Enthon today, and it looks like
wgnuplot.exe has been introduced as a dependency of SciPy on Windows
without being documented anywhere.  Someone else ran into this last
month, but there were no responses.

Here's the error:

running install_data
error: can't copy 'Lib\gplt\wgnuplot.exe': doesn't exist or not a
regular file

A cursory glance at the setup code tells me that wgnuplot.exe doesn't
have to be in Lib\ but it does have to exist in one of the other
locations distutils is searching.

Can I get a clarification on whether adding this dependency was
intentional?  I'd like to add it to the build instructions for Windows,
if it will remain a dependency.

I'm happy to add it to Enthon, if it provides additional functionality
that people are using, but I don't want to unnecessarily complicate the
package with dozens of competing tools (it's already 90MB in size in the
last version, and there's at least 10MB worth of new packages going into
the next version, and no significant removals).

Thanks!