[SciPy-dev] gui_thread issue

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Sat Nov 6 15:04:24 EST 2004

Do we still have the problem that gui_thread can't be started from an
IPython resource file so that the user doesn't explicitly have to call
gui_thread.start() (or whatever)?  My initial attempts failed.
I just tried something like:

    import gui_thread
    gui_thread.start()
    import time
    time.sleep(1) # any value here fails.
    import enthought.chaco.wxplt as plt

and I get an error that wxPython is already imported (by the wxplt call
I'm sure).  This all brought dredged up unpleasant memories that are
documented here:

Fernando, did you figure out a way around all this import/thread madness
when you were working with matplotlib?  The patch I had never made it
into Python 1.5.2, and I haven't tried it anytime recently.  I'm hoping
Fernando has a less intrusive solution...

eric