[SciPy-dev] gui_thread issue

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Nov 5 00:08:07 EST 2004

    >> This is expected. You have to do gui_thread.start() first.

    PW> <blushes>

    PW> Yeah I realized this just now - I was thrown off a bit because
    PW> modal_example() worked fine without gui_thread.start().

We really need to clean up gui_thread.  modal_sample is doing this::

    def modal_sample():
        import gui_thread
        prxyDirDialog = gui_thread.register(wxDirDialog)
        q=prxyDirDialog(None)
        q.ShowModal()

I.e. it is using the old, untested, and most probably broken approach.
With the new approach to gui_thread you no longer need to register a
class and then use it.  I'm actually a bit surprised that
modal_sample() works at all given all that is going on.

Is SciPy moving to SVN?  Should we just remove all references to the
old way and make the new way the default?  The old code will still be
useful so perhaps we create an 'old' directory and move stuff there?

So what is the consensus on this?

cheers,
prabhu