[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Nov 1 21:00:44 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Prabhu Ramachandran apparently wrote:
> Math, citations, easy referencing and labeling

Amen.  These are the glaring weaknesses of the alternatives.
How important are these for the documentation effort?
If they are important, how soon might reST be addressing
these weaknesses?

It may be worth stating the obvious: my text in this note is
a sequence of perfectly valid LaTeX paragraphs.  You can take
your difficulties as you want them.

Another plus: generating beautiful PDF effortlessly.

I would spin the downside of LaTeX a bit differently:
parsing the source is unfortunately taxing (judging
by the efforts of others, not my own).  This makes
the reST plus itex attractive (although that still leaves
citations, labeling, and references to be addressed),
but is this about to happen or not?

Cheers,
Alan Isaac