[SciPy-dev] build scipy on freebsd

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Oct 28 01:47:18 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Ying-Chieh Liao wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 00:03:52 -0600, Pearu Peterson wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Ying-Chieh Liao wrote:
> > > I'm trying to make a port for scipy,
> > Great!
> > But you should certainly use the CVS version of scipy for that
> > as recent changes in CVS have made packaging scipy much easier.
> > See also PACKAGERS.txt (that I'll soon update again).
>
> too bad ... do you have any release plan recently ? :)

If you are interested in freebsd binary port then you are probably
on your own as, if I am not mistaken, no scipy developer uses freebsd.
But getting scipy from CVS is not so complicated. See

  http://www.scipy.org/site_content/tutorials/CVSInstruct

I guess that freebsd has cvs software installed.

> > That is weird as acosh is defined in fastumath_unsigned.inc.
> > Try using -UHAVE_INVERSE_HYPERBOLIC.
> > Let us know if it works or you found another solution for freebsd.
>
> ok I'll try it
>
> > > btw, I've installed djbfft (in /usr/local/{include/lib})
> > > but scipy cannot detect it...
> > You have to follow installation instructions in
> >   http://cr.yp.to/djbfft/install.html
> > Yes, they are a bit braindead but "fixing" djbfft installation process
> > is not so simple.
>
> hmmm...
>
> In the FreeBSD ports system, djbfft is installed into
> /usr/local/include/djbfft/*.h
> /usr/local/lib/libdjbfft.a
>
> how can I adjust scipy source (or configure) to find it ?

You should have seen the following message

    """
    DJBFFT (http://cr.yp.to/djbfft.html) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [djbfft]) or by setting
    the DJBFFT environment variable."""

when building scipy but unfortunately this will not work as
scipy_distutils/system_info.py is still looking for a file
djbfft.a (not libdjbfft.a). You can try fixing this in system_info.py
yourself, I'll later fix it also in CVS.

Pearu