[SciPy-dev] Reason for failures inscipy.test() ?

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Nov 25 08:02:02 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Nils Wagner wrote:

> Dear experts,
>
> Can someone reproduce these failures with latest cvs ?

> FAIL: check_random_complex
> (scipy.linalg.decomp.test_decomp.test_cholesky)
> FAIL: check_simple_complex
> (scipy.linalg.decomp.test_decomp.test_cholesky)

No, I cannot reproduce these errors under Python 2.1.3, 2.2.3, 2.3.2
when using the recent cvs (only under 2.1 I get few
fitpack,stats,special related errors that you have already reported).
I am currently using
  atlas2-sse2 3.2.1ln-11 from sid
  Numeric 23.1
  gcc 3.3.2

> I guess these failures are related to ATLAS or gcc, since
> I was able to run scipy.test() on another system without
> any failures. They differ in ATLAS and gcc.

This could be the case. What gcc are you using?

> Any idea or hint ?
>
> Nils
>
> ATLAS version 3.4.2 built by root on Fre Sep 12 22:56:10 UTC 2003:
>    UNAME    : Linux linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon #1 Mon Mar 17 17:56:47
> UTC 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
>    INSTFLG  :
>    MMDEF    : /home/nwagner/mysoftware/ATLAS/CONFIG/ARCHS/
> ATHLONSSE1/gcc/gemm
>    ARCHDEF  : /home/nwagner/mysoftware/ATLAS/CONFIG/ARCHS/
> ATHLONSSE1/gcc/misc

I am not sure but using sse1 might cause less accurate results.
Make sure that your are using the current CVS version of scipy_distutils
that disables sse1 flag when sse2 is available (do your machine have sse2
Run `python scipy_distutils/command/cpuinfo.py`).

I'll later try the other versions of atlas as well.

Pearu