[SciPy-dev] setup.py vs. setup_foo.py

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Fri Mar 21 22:52:18 EST 2003

I think I've missed a conversation re: the CVS reorg.  I find it weird
that there are setup_foo.py files in what (IMO) should be standalone
modules/packages such as kiva, traits, chaco, freetype.

Furthermore, some modules have both (e.g. freetype, last time I checked).

Finally, is the scipy_distutils stuff which all of them require
available in a separate module/package, and if not, anyone have any
objection to making that separation.  I'm packaging something based on
chaco, which has more or less natural dependencies on traits, kiva and
chaco (and freetype, although I'm not 100% sure I understand the latter
yet).  It's frustrating to have to tell people to install "scipy" just
to get traits/freetype/kiva/chaco to build.

Cheers,

--david

[see y'all at pycon?]