[SciPy-dev] Reboot and Zope Upgrade on SciPy.org

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Wed Dec 3 17:36:45 EST 2003

Hi all,

There will be a short (possibly longer than short, if all doesn't go
well) service outage in a couple of hours on scipy.org (sometime between
6 and 7PM CST).  All scipy.org/scipy.net services will be unavailable
during this time.  This includes mailing lists, the website, CVS, etc.
I will be performing routine maintenence, a kernel upgrade, and a Zope
upgrade.  I expect the outage to last about five to ten minutes, though
Zope has historically thwarted my attempts to achieve a quick and
painless upgrade.

Nothing should change significantly on the server, as the Zope upgrade
is minor (2.6.1 to 2.6.2).  There are plans afoot to bring SciPy.org
into the modern age with a migration to Plone instead of the older CMF
that we're currently using.  The planners (mainly me) are adragging
their afeet, however, so there's no telling when the switch will be
pulled.  If you have useful content (or merely content you are fond of)
on the site that uses DTML, it would be in all of our interests for you
to consider converting it to using ZPT or structured text.  DTML is
apparently deprecated in Plone, and there also seems to be some other
content type issues that we'll be fighting with one day in the not too
distant future.  Let me know if you have anything there, and I'll see if
I can assist with getting it ready for the migration to Plone.

Holler if this service outage will cause significant pain for anyone.

Thanks!