[wxPython] RE: [SciPy-dev] Announce: First installable version of Chaco plotting toolkit is now available

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Mon Sep 23 14:42:37 EDT 2002

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I'll hold off on Solaris for now, since that environment is a bit different.
> On Linux, I started with wxPythonSrc-2.3.3.1 and followed the directions at
> http://www.wxpython.org/README.1st.txt to build it.  Specifically, I did
> this:
>
>     mkdir build
>     cd build
>     export WXPREF=/usr/local
>     ../configure --with-gtk --prefix=$WXPREF --enable-rpath=$WXPREF/lib \
>         --with-opengl --enable-optimise --enable-debug_flag \
>         --with-libjpeg=builtin --with-libpng=builtin --with-libtiff=builtin \
>         --with-zlib=builtin

If you're going to install wxWindows into /usr/local then there's no
real reason to follow the directions for the private wx, but it should
still work like this...

> [There is a typo in the README.1st.txt file - the --with-libjpeg=builtin arg
> is missing a dash.]

Thanks.  I'll get this fixed.

> I then went to the wxPython/demo directory and executed
>
>     python demo.py
>
> which yielded:
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "demo.py", line 3, in ?
>         import Main
>       File "Main.py", line 15, in ?
>         from   wxPython.wx import *
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
>         import wxc
>     ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/wxc.so: undefined symbol: __ti7wxEvent
>
> I poked around for "__ti7wxEvent".  All I found were a couple undefined
> references:
[...]
>     ./wxPython/build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/helpers.o
>              U __ti7wxEvent
>     ./wxPython/build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/dynamicsash.o
>              U __ti7wxEvent
>
> According to c++filt, that symbol corresponds to
>
>     wxEvent type_info node
>
> My environment is Mandrake 8.1, Python from CVS (2.3a0-ish) built with gcc.

I've just tried exactly what you did above on my Mandrake 8.2 system
with Python 2.2 and it works fine.

One possibility -- since the wxPython build gets its compiler flags and
etc. from Python's build via distutils -- is that there is some flag
conflicting with wxGTK's build that has changed with Python 2.3.  I'd be
interested in seeing a copy of a compile commandline for one of the
sources from the wxGTK build and another one from the wxPython build.

Another possibility is that it may be fixed simply by disabling rtti
and/or exceptions in the wxGTK build.  You can try adding the following
flags and then rebuilding all of wxGTK and wxPython:

	--enable-no_rtti
	--enable-no_exceptions

RTTI and exceptions are not needed by wxPython so I guess I should
probably add them to the "Private wxGTK" instructions anyway as there
should be a bit of a performance boost...

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman