[SciPy-dev] Major CVS changes to weave

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 13 12:57:27 EDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Pat Miller wrote:

> My work that Eric was alluding to was a compiled alternative to the
> blitz++
> module that works like:
>
> from compilation.numeric import compiler

> compiler()
> a = b + c*d - 3
> end_compiler()
>
> instead of weave.blitz('a = b+c*d-3',[a])

[snip]

> This is wicked fast (both in terms of compilation time < 1 sec and
> runtime).
>
> For Pearu's LaPlace example, I get 900-1800X speedup over the original
> Python with Numeric arrays --- equivalent to hand-written C.

And we will have access to this when? Please oh please :) I'm supposed to do
some C/Fortran/Python benchmarking to convince my boss that we _can_ use
python for most of our new code (fast algorithms development) --at least for
the prototyping and the higher level logic, of course. I'm kind of holding
back and keeping under his radar b/c I'd like to have access to these
improvements before I do the testing. I _really_ don't want to have to end up
writing fortran code.

So you would have at least one eternally grateful user out there if this makes
it into the wild.

cheers,

f.