[SciPy-dev] PATCH: scipy_distutils/system_info.py

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Sun May 26 13:14:35 EDT 2002

Hi,

Regarding this patch I have made the following changes.

On Thu, 23 May 2002, David M. Cooke wrote:

> Ok, I've taken another look at the system_info.py code. The attached
> patch does the following:
>
> - The wrong things were being set for static and shared libraries.
>   Static libraries should be linked as 'extra_objects', and shared
>   libraries using 'libraries' and 'library_dirs'.

Dropped using 'extra_objects' as it was buggy from the start and unified
hooks for static (.a) and dynamic (.so) libriaries.

> - X11 is only linked statically if static_first=1 is set in the x11
>   section of the site.cfg file (i.e., only when you explicitly ask for
>   it, which you probably won't)

Renamed static_first to search_static_first and set its default value to
0. If someone really needs it, let me know. Otherwise search_static_first
hooks will be removed in future. I find it quite useless because systems
prefer shared libraries to static libraries (if they are in the same
directory) and Python extension modules are always shared libraries
anyway and I don't believe in speed improvement when linking against
static libraries in this situation.

> - The environment variables ATLAS and FFTW can now be set to a list of
>   directories, if you don't want to use the site.cfg method.

Applied. In addition, one can use also LAPACK and BLAS environment
variables.

> - The doc strings for {Atlas,FFTW}NotFoundError now mention site.cfg
>   as a method of setting paths

Applied. In addition, updated comments in sample_site.cfg.

I'll look forward to scoreboard to see if my changes broke something,
especially in win32 platform.

Pearu