[SciPy-dev] FFTPACK and RandomArray

eric eric at scipy.org
Wed Feb 20 01:14:46 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fernando Pérez" <fperez at pizero.colorado.edu>
To: <scipy-dev at scipy.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 1:51 AM
Subject: Re: [SciPy-dev] FFTPACK and RandomArray

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, eric wrote:
>
> > Just to fill everyone in, we're gonna be making fftw an "optional" package
in
> > SciPy.  This is because its license doesn't fit with the rest of the
package.
> > FFTPACK provides pretty much a drop in replacement in functionality, so no
> > capabilities are lost.  The only drawpack is that fftw is faster.  On the
> > upside, it will simplify the build process, and the part of the pain that
> > Fernando suffered today will be alleviated.
>
> It would be nice to keep things so that users can easily use one or the
> other though. Since fftw is GPL, for many that's ok and they may prefer to
> use fftw. Don't know how much extra work that would mean though.

Well the wrappers will still be around, and they work quite well in the current
state.
I don't know if they will still be in the CVS, but they will certainly still be
available with instructions on how to build them on the SciPy site.  For those
interested, it'll hopefully be a drop in replacement.  Afterall, they work fine
now in SciPy, and I don't see the fft interfaces changing much.

see ya,
eric