[SciPy-dev] issues with installing Numeric in a user directory

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Thu Dec 19 13:06:39 EST 2002

> Well, we were going to ask about that eventually (for numarray).
> This spurred me to raise it now. Should numarray use the package
> mechanism?

Absolutely! I've always found it extremely irritating that Numeric isn't a
'true' package, considering how the __init__.py package mechanism is
considered fairly standard these days. The .pth hackery is always a PITA
and can easily be an unsurmountable wall for a not too experienced user
who needs a slightly non-standard setup. I would definitely be

+1  (+10 if such a thing is accepted :)

on making Numarray (and even Numeric's new versions, if possible) a real
package.

Cheers,

f.