[SciPy-dev] Linalg2 benchmarks

eric eric at scipy.org
Thu Apr 4 20:49:28 EST 2002

Hey Jochen,

> ATLAS was compiled with the system kgcc, which is egcs-1.1.2.
> scipy is compiled with gcc-3.0.4, compiler options
> ,----
> | -march=i686 -O3 -unroll_loops -fPIC
> `----

I think gcc 3.0 may be the problem.  R. Clint Whaley, the head developer on
ATLAS, regularly harps on how poor gcc3 does with ATLAS.  This is definitely a
bummer.  I think he has even posted a bug report about some specific issues and
basically been told that is wasn't gonna  get fixed.  He recommends using pre3.0
compilers for ATLAS.

Here is a note that discusses it.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~rwhaley/ATLAS/gcc30.html

eric